Saturday, December 29, 2012

Snow 2.0

 
 



I like snow days. Today, it began snowing again. This time, it wasn't as blizzard-like outside. The animals are all tucked away in their warm barns.

The day of the blizzard (Christmas), a small kitten was displaced by the storm. I "think" it is out of the Mother cat that I feed on my deck. (I have her 4 last kittens, now grown that live in my barn). The kitten somehow got under my house. I still haven't figured out how that happened. The underskirting on my house is tight, and the one space where the adult cats creep through was covered in snow.

I heard this kitten mewing. It would follow my voice, and I tried very hard for 2 days to rescue him from under the house. Standing outside in freezing temps, trying to figure out how to coax him out. I was able to slip food into him, of which he'd quickly start eating. (His "nom, nom, noms...were adorable!")

Yesterday, I was able to get him to stick his head through the small space where the heat pump/air conditioner goes under the house. Such a small cat could have fit in there ok, but he was scared. He'd come right to the opening and then not come out. When he did pop his head out, he'd nuzzle my hand and meow.

When I left last night, I heard him meow and I saw him run toward me in the snow. He ran back and was rubbing on the other cats. (Which are his brothers and sister). I was relieved, but wasn't sure what to do with him. I came home late, and he was no where to be found.

First thing this morning I went out to face the snow, and I heard the little guy mewing again. This time, he came right to me at the opening by the water heater. After a few minutes of coaxing, he came out. His mother hissed, and smacked him. Apparently, she was ready to wean him.

I scooped him up, and he cuddled into me and started purring. I called my Mom and asked her if she could take him. She lives across the road. I would have brought him into my house, but my 2 dogs may not appreciate it. :)

Happy news... the little cat has been accepted by my Mom's barn cats and he's made himself at home.


1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so happy the little kitty found a nice warm and safe home!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I love to hear from you!